Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Recipe: Lemon Glaze Bundt Cake


Well, I told you a few days ago that Annie and I were about to have some baking fun!! I'm SOOOO excited to say that today I did two things that I have never done before--made my own recipe and made a cake from scratch!  And we had friends and family over for a Glee night and the verdict is in--the cake is DELICIOUS!!! Moist, tasty, and lemony!  Here are the details...

Cake Ingredients:
1 cup butter @ room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups of cake flour
zest of 1 large lemon
1 cup evaporated milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 box lemon pudding

Glaze Ingredients:
3-5 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cups confectioners sugar

Step by Step:
1.  Preheat oven 350 degrees.

2.  Cream butter until fluffy. 

3.  Add sugar and continue to cream well with butter. 

4.  Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

5. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour.

6. Add vanilla & lemon zest & lemon juice and continue to beat until just mixed. 

7. Add baking powder and salt.

8. Add pudding mix.

9. Place batter in bundt cake pan: Bake 35 minutes.

10.  Cool in pan 2 minutes. Invert cake onto cooling rack. 

11.  Make glaze.  Mix sugar and lemon juice adding more juice for tart glaze and more sugar for sweeter/thicker glaze.

12.  Place cake on plate and glaze cake.

Pictures: 















 
There ya have it!! I think next time I'm going to tweak the recipe and sub cake flour with all-purpose flour and add lemon extract to see how that comes out!  I'm so pleased!!

Stepping up my baking game,
SG

Update: I gave this recipe a try again with a twist.  Instead of cake flour, I used all-purpose flour and I added lemon extract.  Ironically enough, the all-purpose flour makes the cake taste more "cakey" than cake flour and Troy liked it even better.  So, I think when I have both all-purpose flour and cake flour on hand, I'll go with all-purpose over cake flour.  And definitely keep the lemon extract!   Here's a picture of the cake with all-purpose.  Pretty much the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, I get an email on my iPhone. I check your comment, I smile. I am then even happier than I was before. That sunshine spreads to everyone I come into contact with that day. Puppies live longer, flowers don't wither, and world peace is inches closer!! See what leaving a comment does!!! Hurry, write me!