Friday, December 31, 2010

2010: God Is...

Is it really this time of the year again?  It was this time last year that I sat down to write an end of the year post.  It doesn't seem like there's been 365 days between then and now.  But, anywho, I really don't even know where to start. What to say? 2010 has been the most unique year of my life.  So much has happened, in my life and in the life of those around me.  Celebrations, mournings, new beginnings, endings, so much!  Rather than write about all those things, I think what I will do is share with you two of the biggest things that happened to me this year.  And it's interesting because one happened at the beginning of the year and the other commenced at the end of this year!  

January.  Jesus Is With Me.  So, at the conclusion of 2009 (December), I received some "not so good" news from my doctor.  A test came back showing signs of cancerous cells in my body.  Now, the "not so good" thing is that this wasn't the first time a doctor had told me that.  The first time, a biopsy was not recommended, just some follow-up testing.  This time, however, my doctor heavily recommended (i.e. required) a biopsy.  The biopsy was first scheduled for December 2009.  I wanted to get it over and done with so as not to take it with me into the new year.  Well, that didn't happen.  It had to be rescheduled for the beginning of 2010. 

But here's the thing.  I wasn't worried. I wasn't afraid.  I simply stood on God's Word and I was calm. So much so I was even a little bit surprised.  However, there was ONE thing on my mind--Lord, this procedure is going to hurt.  Thus, my prayer was for Him to take away the pain of the procedure.   While I waited (and waited and waited) for the day of the procedure to come, it seemed like my body wanted to play tricks on me.  I experienced pain that had never happened before.  I didn't tell anyone.  What I did do was praise Jesus ahead of time for delivering me from cancer or anything remotely related!  I praised Him for the confidence I had in Him.  I praised Him for being able to truly say, no matter what happened, "Jesus I'll never forget what you've done for me!" (a song we sing a lot at church). 

The day of the biopsy finally arrived.  Troy came with me.  He waited in the waiting room.  I went in.  My fantastic doctor (I love her!) was her positive and happy self as usual.  She and her assistant attempted to comfort me.  Well kinda, the assistant told me, "I'm surprised you're not crying!"  Anyway, here goes. No going back now.  I remembered what my one prayer had been--Lord, please take the pain of this procedure away.  And folks, I'm happy to say HE DID!!!  With all that was going on, I was able to bear it!  I felt some scrapes and tugs, but the pain! Where was the pain?!! I'll tell you where, in the hands of Jesus!  He was with me!  Period.  And that is the happiest moment of my 2010.  Knowing that Jesus was with me! Not simply believing that He was with me.  Knowing, feeling that He was with me.  Granting me my request.  I'll never forget it as long as I live.  Just thinking about it takes me back to that table.  I wish I were a better writer just so I could convey for you just how powerful that moment was for me.   

December. Jesus Has A Customized Will for Me, SG.  [Subtopics: Jesus is a Provider, Way Maker, Deliverer, Keeper, Just Plain Good!]  This year I also experienced, for the first time, our good friend Mr. Unemployment.  When my clerkship came close to an end I sent my resume to a few select places.  Mind you, I sent them out knowing that most firms in Greenville were unable to do any hiring (say it with me, "hiring freeze!").  Anywho, as expected, I was promptly informed by the two firms that they were unable to make any new hires.  One firm asked if I'd be interested in another office.  However, moving was not an option.  I had turned down a FANTASTIC firm in Georgia because Troy and I were staying in Greenville.  So, what did I do? I prayed and I waited.  Waited to know what I was supposed to do next.  Lord, do I apply other places or do I stick to the places that I want? I tell you not one month went by and I received a call from one of the firms that could not hire anyone.  A partner wanted to meet me! And he wanted to make a way for me to be on board!

After a few meetings and an interview I am happy to say I received an offer.  (And accepted it!) And, while I can't go into details, let me say that I couldn't have asked for anything better!  Every aspect is exactly what I wanted, asked for, and needed!  It is the type of environment I wanted and a welcomed change! I start on Monday! January 3rd!! 

And the funny thing is, earlier this year I told Troy that I might want to take some time off between my clerkship and whatever was next.  He asked how long and I said, "I don't know maybe until January!"  I didn't necessarily plan it to be that way, but it worked out for my good.  Moreover, the time spent not working was a blessing!  It was a humbling experience and it was an opportunity for me to go through something new and unplanned.  I am a planner by nature.  I plan everything.  To-do lists are my friend (I am so close to scratching off "blog entry" from today's list!).  So, for something to happen in my life that was drastically unplanned, I was able to remember that I am not the author my life.  I am a character and I trust the author completely.  So, I am ever grateful for the time spent living in the unknown.  Because all I needed to know was that Jesus Is. Period.

So friends, those are two experiences that mean a great deal to me.  I love how one experience opened the year and the other closed it out.  I really am excited to see how life gets even better in 2011!! Stay tuned!! And please, share with me some of your 2010 highlights!!  Let's celebrate and rejoice together!!

Grateful, with a capital G,
sG

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, I get an email on my iPhone. I check your comment, I smile. I am then even happier than I was before. That sunshine spreads to everyone I come into contact with that day. Puppies live longer, flowers don't wither, and world peace is inches closer!! See what leaving a comment does!!! Hurry, write me!